School closure due to snow

In recent winters the school has had to close on a small number of days due to snow. 

When making a decision to close the school, there are a number of issues that have to be considered: 

  • Many students are reliant on public buses.  We need to be sure that the buses will run and that journeys are safe. 
  • Most of our staff live some way from school, some a considerable distance from Welwyn.  We have to be confident that there will be sufficient staff able to get here in order to teach the students.  We have to ensure a safe level of supervision. 
  • The condition of the site – is it safe for students and staff to move around the school? Clearing paths and gritting takes a long time on a big site such as this one.  It is a difficult decision to make and parents will appreciate the dilemma between giving everyone sufficient notice of closure and trying to guess what road and weather conditions will be between 8.00 and 8.30am 

If at all possible a decision will be taken by 9.00pm the night before or at the very latest by 7.00am on the day.  That decision will be posted on the school’s website (www.monkswalk.herts.sch.uk) and on the school’s Facebook page, ‘Monk’s Walk School Official’.  The message will be updated regularly.  If the school is to close then you will also receive an email and text via WisePay.  It is very important that we have your up-to-date contact details. Please send any changes to: [email protected]

If the decision is to open the school but with a delayed starting time then you will receive a WisePay message, along with social media updates.  A message will also be put on the website. 

We will inform local radio stations – BBC Three Counties 103.8FM, Heart Four Counties 97.6FM or Bob FM 106.7FM and 106.9FM. We will also inform the local authority of closure – this information will be found on www.hertsdirect.org

No closure message means that we intend to open and all students will be expected to attend. 

When the school closes I appreciate how inconvenient and difficult this is for families and how disruptive it is for students’ learning.  My primary concern has to be the safety of the students and staff.  Please be assured I will not take this decision lightly.

 Kate Smith, Headteacher

Upcoming Events

29 Jun

DoE Gold Assessed expedition

29 June, 2017 – 3 July, 2017
 
29 Jun

Year 10 (F) Consultation Evening

4:00pm - 7:00pm
 
30 Jun

G Year Battlefields trip (3)

30 June, 2017 – 2 July, 2017
 
03 Jul

Music tour to Austria

3 July, 2017 – 9 July, 2017